The New England Girls’ School was founded in 1895, by Florence Emily Green, a deeply religious educator from Oamaru, New Zealand. The aim of the school was to provide an all-round education for girls, with a strong emphasis on Christian values, in order to prepare students for the challenges of the new century. For over one hundred years, NEGS has acquired a proud history of achievement in every facet of educating young people to prepare them for whatever they put their mind to, to succeed and be content in the world they live in. The school’s first building was named ‘Akaroa’, and contained a large classroom, an office and boarding facilities. Today the building is the school’s administration centre, with the original classroom now used for meetings and functions, and named the ‘W H Lee Room’ after the school’s architect.
Under Miss Green’s guidance NEGS became one of the largest girls’ boarding schools in Australia. In 1907, NEGS was purchased by the Anglican diocese and a School Council was appointed.
In 2006, it was agreed that a company limited by guarantee, known as NEGS Limited, would acquire the school and operate it as an independent Anglican school, with Mr John Cassidy as Chairman of the Board.
|1895 – 1907||Miss Florence Green, Founder|
|1907||Miss May Bird|
|1907 – 1913||Miss Margaret Murray|
|1913 – 1917||Miss Clarinda Murray|
|1918 – 1925||Miss Juliet Lyon|
|1925 – 1939||Miss Nona Dumolo|
|1939 – 1959||Miss Ethel Colebrook|
|1959 – 1969||Miss Loyalty Howard|
|1969 – 1972||Miss Yvonne Grubb|
|1973 – 1989||Dr Jan Milburn|
|1990 – 2000||Mrs Anna Abbott|
|2000 – 2004||Mrs Helen Trebilcock|
|2004||Mrs Denise Thomas, Interim Head|
|2004 – 2006||Dr Rebecca Ling|
|2007 – 2009||Mr Mark Harrison|
|2009 – 2011||Mr Ian Downs|
|2012||Mr Peter Hodge|
|2013||Mr Clive Logan|