Dear NEGS Junior School Families and Students,
Our first three weeks at NEGS has been an exciting and busy for everyone. I have found it such a welcoming experience meeting all the students, teachers and families.
We welcome especially our new students and are pleased to see how happily they have all settled in to NEGS Junior School routine.
We also welcome a new staff member, Mrs Dimity Fenwicke who will be our new Office Assistant and learning support teacher. Mrs Fenwicke will be in our Office from 8:30 am to 11:30 am Monday to Friday.
Last week saw classes take a short break in their lessons to go and experience some practical happenings within our school. Transition and Years 5 and 6 went up and saw our newly hatched ducklings and were able to handle and admire them with proud duckling parents looking on. Also, the entire Junior School together with some of the Senior School went up to view sheep shearing in the Senior School last week. These are valuable practical learning experiences and we are fortunate to be able to view these experiences in our own school grounds. If you have not already done so, parents are invited to see the photographs of these two activities on our Facebook page.
Last week School Photos were taken and the weather was perfect for our outside photos. On Friday, 16 February saw the Junior School at our very successful Swimming Carnival. The weather was again perfect. Our students participated well, and dressed in their house colours cheered on their fellow students. It was a great display of sportspersonship by all. Last week also saw the start to our summer sports with our junior and senior touch teams playing on Thursday afternoons.
This list of activities has been emailed to parents but in case it has not been received a copy is attached to this Newsletter.
Camps and Tour
Our students are eagerly looking forward to their camp coming up next week:
Years 3 and 4 will be going to Lake Keepit and Year 5-6 will be going to visit Canberra. Our visit to Canberra and the various locations we will visit cover subject topics within the School and Board of Studies curriculum. Years K – 2 will be doing a week’s swim program with Harwood’s Swim School.
Keep safe and we look forward to an enjoyable camp and tour program.
Mr Andrew Travers, Head of the Junior School
Dear Junior School Parents,
Thank you to all the parents who completed and returned the Sports and Activity form so promptly. We received a great response to the activities and it will be exciting to introduce some new choices into the Junior School.
I can now confirm the follow activities and costs for the Junior School extra-curricular activities:
– Cattle Club will be for Years 3-6 students and will take place on Mondays after school from 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm. A Junior School teacher will accompany the students and stay with them for the entire session. Mr Mark Fisher (NEGS Agriculture teacher) will be running the Club and is very excited to have so many eager young students. Due to the cattle being unattended over the holiday break, they will be ready to meet our students and our first session will start on Monday 5th March (Week 6).
– Coding / Chess will be run over Terms 2 and 3 during lunch time. Exact day will be announced next term.
– Mud Club will run again on Monday afternoons starting next week 19th February. This will be taken by Mrs McCann and will be held in the Senior School Art classroom. Cost is $70 a term and will be added to your school account.
– Dancing will start Tuesday 6th March (Week 6). Dancing will be held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with classes being held at lunch time and after school. There will be a separate note sent home to all students who ticked ‘Dancing’ on their expression of interest form. This note will contain more information on the specific type of dance lessons, times and prices. If you did not tick Dancing and would still like some more information please write a note in your child’s diary and the class teacher will send a note home.
– Group Equestrian Lessons. Group lessons are available from Monday, 5th March (Week 6). Students will be in groups of 3 and lessons will be conducted at lunch times from 12:50 am – 1:50 pm. Students will be able to have a quick lunch and will then be collected from the Dining Hall to have their lesson. Students will be returned for afternoon classes. (Please note all classes have DEAR time after lunch from 1:30-1:50 pm. This will mean once a week only these students will miss DEAR time – (Drop everything and read time). The Equestrian centre have created a special rate for the Junior School at $22 a lesson and this will be added to your School account. (lessons are organised on the basis of a full term, e.g.10 weeks @ $22 = $220).
Please note all activity costs will be on the basis of a per term charge to your School account.
Mr Andrew Travers